Shalom Misphacha THA! Hello THA Family!
It’s that time of year again: welcome to your summer packet in preparation for a new school year. I hope you’ve had a great June and have wonderful things in store for July, and are as excited about a new school year as we are here on campus. It’s been a busy season of transitions, a little hiring (a new after school strings program teacher and two new Hebrew teachers coming from Israel!), hosting the JCC Taglit program, and various building projects and renovations around school. As always, we are here to help you with any and all school needs. The office is open to the public M-T 9 – 3 and Fridays from 9 – 12 throughout the summer, except for July 3rd – 5th. Call, click or visit – we’d love to see you!
Our first day of school is Wednesday, August 9th. Before that we invite all students and families to Meet Your Teachers on Monday, August 7th from 4-5, then our annual PTSO Back to School party from 5-7. A special Popsicle Party for our Kindergarten and 1st Grade students will be held in their classrooms that Monday from 3:30 – 4:00. Please note: our aftercare program (formally called Homework Help Club) will start the week of August 21st. Homework help will still be available, but the scope of the program has changed over the years so a change of name is in order, too. We are pleased to be able to continue offering this support to our families at no cost. Before care program starts on August 9th at 7:00 a.m.
Based on parent, student and teacher input, we’ve shifted the time for lunch for next year by one period. Lower Schoolers will eat at 6th period, or 11:44, and Upper Schoolers, 7th period, or 12:29.
Please be sure to read our Parent-Student Handbook to be informed about important school policies. In order to reduce costs, we no longer mail the Handbook home. We will send home a hard copy the first day of school, and you’re welcome to view it online in the meantime. We will soon announce when it is available online so please be on the look-out for that. All students and families are required to turn in a form attesting to the fact that you have read the Handbook. If you have any questions or feedback regarding its contents, I would love to hear from you. Also please note that PTSO leadership will be sharing their important information with you soon via separate communication.
Included in our summer mailing are the following:
- School Year 2017 - 2018 Calendar - Updated 6/30/2017 (not including 8th grade graduation date – still to be determined)
- Shabbat lunch order form and an Orderlunches.com memo for your use to order daily lunch throughout the year
- Emergency contact form and permission form for staff to administer Tylenol or Ibuprofen as needed (suggestion: scan or snap a picture of this so next year it’s that much easier to do!)
- Two essential letters to families with students in grades 5-8 regarding the upcoming Upper School Mt. Lemmon Retreat and some odds and ends information
- An acknowledgement letter for you to sign and return indicating that you have read the Student/Parent Handbook (online), and you and your child know its contents and expectations for behavior and conduct here at THA. It’s ok to wait until the first week of school to turn this in.
- The JCC Roaming Policy form – signature required
- Forms for families who would like to use them to order/donate yearbooks and contribute towards art supplies (can be done on Smart Tuition instead!)
- Information about adding miscellaneous items to your Smart Tuition account and a handy schedule of fees for various school expenses
- An update from our Development Department
As always we are here to support you and your children. You’ll receive excellent customer service from our new Office Manager Tammy Westra as well as our new Finance Director, Emily Lunne (actually rhymes with ‘money’, go figure!). And of course there’s me, Rabbi, Julee, Assistant Principal Kendra Citron, Director of Student Support Services Gabby Erbst, Counselor Felicia Cohen, our fabulous classroom teachers and other support staff… We are invested in you and love your children, and ready to work with you at any time.
We are pumped up and ready for an awesome school year! May the final weeks of summer be kind and memorable to you and yours. Thanks for being part of our family here at THA; we look forward to seeing you soon!
L’hitraot – see you soon,
Head of School
Class Supply List:
Student & Parent Handbook:
Upper School 1:1 Program: